Thursday, June 27, 2019

Help!

I step into the 21st century by reaching out for help the only way the millenials know how...

I don't know if I have to be a member of the reddit/tor group to do this.

I don't know if I blundered by posting, rather than asking this through a comment on an existing thread.

I don't know if someone like Chuck Croll of Martinez, California and the moderator of the Blogger help forum is going to flag me as a troll for having started a new thread "He's had a blog for 4 years, and he doesn't know what a thread is?!?" and tell the other members of the reddit that I am after them and their data, like Chuck did to me back in 2010 when I had posted to my blog using a most likely highly infected computer at a homeless shelter (need a valid yet fraudulent social security number? Just check the window that some homeless and computer illiterate person applying for food stamps left open, type of thing).

And, well I guess I will wait to see if I get any replies.

How will I know? Maybe when I come back to my reddit home page there will be a notification that there has been a comment left on my post, maybe? It's hard to believe that I once bore the title of "systems integration technician" working for the then 3rd largest computer company in the world behind IBM and another fossil, Digital Equipment Corporation...

Back then, the VS80 that I set up and shipped out at costs in the low millions were the size of a freezer; the kind that you lift the lid on like a big coffin, and the VS80 boasted 256 killobytes of memory, but for something like $28,000 more, you could have me slide another memory board in the thing, and then apply the knowledge that Wang was paying me quite well for to set the jumper on the first board to let it know that it was going to work in tandem with another one, bringing the memory up to 512 killobytes. Why any corporation would need more was beyond us, at Wang labs in 1983...

So, here I have gotten the idea to download a bunch of programs, written in the Perl coding language, which run the classic game of "Hangman."

It is something that I was into programming in Basic, back in the late 80's (haven already fallen behind the rest of the world, which had all moved on to HTML, by ten years).

But, I think I can make great strides by learning to make a hangman game, because it will help me in my hobby project.

That program will take all of the 26 Megabytes of writing that I have done on this blog and will create a dictionary, using the vocabulary.

Ultimately, when I am done writing a post, the program will inform me of any new words that I used (and misspelled ones, as a by product) and prompt me to add them to the dictionary. It will then give me a report on how large my vocabulary is, and possibly give me a "word of the day" out of the subset of the Harvard Unabridged Dictionary of words that I have never used, in all my blogging.

I am pretty sure that a similar program already exists, maybe as part of one of those workshops to improve writing skills (feed in at least a hundred pages of your writing to find out how your vocabulary ranks, in terms of variety and sophistication of words, type of thing) but this is intended to be a learning exercise, and a hobby, for now...

1 comment:

  1. You need to do what the IT pros do: just Google around. That should bring up Reddit discussions too.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.