Monday, June 24, 2019

The Deep Dark Web

So, the Tor Browser comes with my Linux system. And, I'm not even supposed to tell you that.

It even comes in two separate pieces.

One of them runs in the background monitoring a special port, and the other one is the actual browser that uses this connection.

When you surf on the deep dark web, why would you then turn around and, in the light of day, like on a Blogger blog, divulge that you have done so?
It would be like announcing to the world: "I'm that guy who puts the brown bag over his head and runs crazily through the streets every night!" I guess is the theory.

There are warnings that come along with the Tor Browser that caution you about certain unsafe practices which might lead to an outside party being able to tell that you are using the Tor Browser.

Wow, this is like buying something from some store and then ditching the black bag that it came in, so nobody would know that you had shopped there.

But, the Tor people highlight the fact that their technology allows people to surf the web totally anonymously. And this is both good, for keeping you safe from attackers, and bad because it can potentially allow you to attack with impugnity.
Anonymity can be akin to the "selflessness" talked about by the Buddha et al.
Why attach the label of a name to yourself when are surrendered to the void? Do you have to know what a particular flower is "called" to appreciate its beauty? I think not.
It can be a liberating experience, videos of midgets being fed to pythons notwithstanding...

They take no responsibility for whatever transpires between totally anonymous people.
I finally got around to firing up the Tor Browser that had been available through the Ubuntu software "store" and went into the dark web, where I found the following, which was published by, I believe, a Japanese female doctor of some kind. I can only surmise that a doctor in Japan might lose her license should she recommend such things as a frozen potato for a toothache, in lieu of a costly prescription, but following is a somewhat charmingly translated into English excerpt from the page:

Take away the potato from the freezer and lower off a skinny slice that may fit immediately onto your wisdom tooth. The chilled potato will numb the nerves, soothe the ache, and make your tooth really feel significantly better. It is an amazing antifungal and antiviral herb and will enormously assist to scale back wisdom tooth pain. 


The reason that people would not want anyone to find out that they are using Tor is because there are people who would ask accusingly: "Why would you be browsing anonymously unless you had something to hide?"
Of course they would wonder that.
So, use Tor, but don't even let them know you are using it. Soon, you will have a remedy to the toothache like I have.
I have been fighting back a toothache using acupressure, deep breathing, yoga and meditation for the past week or so. It will start to throb and be painful enough that I would have, in the past, made a beeline to the emergency room for antibiotics and Ibuprofen.
My teeth are a concern, but I am in the present moment and taking it one meal at a time.
Swishing the mouth out with salt was, by the way, the first remedy suggested by "Michelle"
the healer on the onion network.

When I come to this blog using Tor, like I have now, I am treated like a first time visitor and have to log in using my password, and then have to accept the "cookies" policy.
Tor, I believe, automatically deletes those cookies, and I might have to go through the same process each time. Plus, everything lakes an extra second or two to happen using Tor, because the pages requested are encrypted then bounced around, like a letter mailed to one guy, and inside is another envelope with a note telling him to mail the letter, with no return addresses being on any of the envelopes.

One of the things about Tor is that you are asked if you are in a country where Tor is censored. I wonder if this is like the "are you 18 or older?" question that a six year old could click "yes" to. Please tell us if you are in North Korea and we will disconnect you as per national law. Even though you are totally anonymous, it is against the law to lie, type of thing...
So, I guess now is the test of whether or not I can even post this. Maybe Tor will hit me with a: "Please remove all references to Tor or Tor Browser before being able to transmit this post over the Tor network."
Here goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.