Friday, July 19, 2019

Coming Soon: Full Orchestral Arrangements Of My Songs


Blog Readers: I guess I have known that I can embed such a thing as the above into this blog; turning it into a wellspring of culture all of a sudden...

The above is written in something like "musicXML" which is playable by the same musescore© application that I have on my Thinkpad laptop.

I think when you are watching the above, though it is just a screenshot of a computer that has musescore on it and is playing the Beethoven sheetmusic. It isn't an instance of musescore running on your system.

Still, someone had to manually enter every note, and every piece of phrasing. I wonder if there are jobs available doing that...

The phrasing is critical, if the amount of bickering that goes on among students of Beethoven's music is any indication.

There are places where Ludwig had scrawled a certain something on the staff, and if his "1" looked like a "7," there would be those trying to play the piece at the insane tempo of 720 beats per minute, while others used a combination of common sense and guesses of what he probably meant.

If taken in the context of a huge body of work, it is easier to figure out what he probably meant. Still, it must take a lot of arrogance to amend something on Beethoven's after drawing a conclusion such as, "this is a mistake; he meant this." 

I had gotten the idea of manually entering the sheet music from the Beethoven piano sonata book that I got a hold of for 50 cents at the Goodwill.

What better way to determine what kind of subtle control over the output of sound is possible using musescore than to see what a Beethoven piece can sound like.

The voices are incredible. I can just layer a trumpet with a trombone and a clarinet for example, and get stuff that I never dreamed of getting out of an acoustic guitar and a harmonica.

I just need to figure out a way to load the resulting music into Audacity so I can use them as tracks; have a full orchestra on the "My Favorite Mule" song, for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.