Friday, August 9, 2019

The Dimming

I finally got around to dimming the background image a bit on this blog, so that on mobile devices, it won't compete with the text as much.
I reduced the brightness by 40% and brought the contrast down a hair.
I'm really not sure which will help bring out the text more, reducing brightness or contrast.
Choosing a black and white background did not solve the problem created by the fact that any color of text that I might choose to go over it is going to be either a bright color or a dark color. And thus will get lost in the brightest or darkest parts of the background image.

I thought about really reducing the contrast so that both the darkest or brightest text colors would benefit.
But decided to reduce the brightness, since my text is a pastel yellow.
But, this might be an ongoing process. I have to wait until I am within wi-fi reception to see what the result will look like on my phone.

I am faced with the problem that, since I have been staying in a lot during the recent heat wave, I haven't become acclimated to it, the way I was when I lived outdoors, for example, and it feels stifling when I go outside.

But, in order to busk on this Friday night, I will have to just get used to it.
This is what it looks like right now (below) which is the time I am usually leaving to go down there...

I guess not bad for an August 9th...
What I can't see from this shot is if the construction crew has reached, and dug up, the block where I usually play.

4 comments:

  1. That Earthcam thing is pretty neat. I looked at it now and for some reason the majority of the crowd are wearing red dresses, including the men!

    If you found even a small snippet to post daily, like Why are they wearing red dresses, and make it interesting, it doesn't have to be more than a paragraph or two, you'd have a lot more readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Earth Cam thing is pretty neat. Internet is slow enough here in "Silicon Valley" that I often only get a still, but it shows how busy Bourbon Street can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Daniel, do you know anything about this? Just came through from my buskers advocacy group...

    ALERT: New Orleans' Department of Safety and Permits has taken the position that outdoor live music and entertainment is not allowed in conjunction with ANY business in the city without a special event permit, though existing businesses with outdoor live music may be grandfathered in.
    The department has determined this because one of the use standards of live entertainment says doors and windows must be closed during performances. There are no doors and windows to close outdoors, therefore no live entertainment can be held without a special event permit. (This would not affect music in public spaces or private homes, only businesses.)
    We've emailed the directors of the Department of Safety and Permits to get clarity on this interpretation and how it would affect existing businesses. We will follow up with more information as soon we we have it. Obviously, we think this determination is arbitrary and flawed.
    You can read the full report (which is actually about the proposed outdoor music and dining restrictions in the Treme, Marigny, and Bywater) where this determination is mentioned here: https://cityofno.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php…

    ReplyDelete
  4. That might explain why the bar I play near didn't put their loudspeakers out for the red dress run crowd, like I believe they did last year. Not that that is live music, but the issue might be outdoor volume. Musicians "connected to businesses" tend to be using heavy duty house sound systems, and not the little Pignose amps that a busker might...
    If so, the ordnance is good news for me, might quiet down the outside area of Lafitt's.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.