Saturday, November 23, 2019

Loss


The drinking:
I did this; that's all I can say...
In the back of my mind, I always wondered if "complete" abstinence, with regards to anything, was "the way to go."

I truly believed that the 2 and a half glasses of red wine that I had with my healthy meals just about every single night for years (meals that turned out to be pretty shining examples of the "keto" diet -mainly fish partly fried in olive oil, partly baked and partly smoked over either a red or white oak, or hickory wood fire with a lot of vinegar-based hot sauce poured over it, with a side of sauteed mushrooms, broccoli, onions, garlic, ) were a big contributor to the fact that, even though I was homeless, I could say: "At least I have my health."

But, then I also saw how the 3 quarter bottle of wine started turning into a whole bottle, and then how the brilliant idea of buying 3 liter jugs, at a cost of what amounted to about $2.50 a bottle, would save me all kinds of money, with the reasoning being that I was already spending about 6 bucks a day on a single bottle; so why not get a jug that would last 4 days?
I then saw the 3 liter bottle lasting only 2 and a half days; and then, it went from there.
I got to the point where I would black out, and would actually be proud of it: "What did we do last night?," I might ask my camp mate, Larry.

And, then I thought it was helping me musically, because, in order to improvise music, you have to shut down the rational, logical and critical thinking part of the mind, and, what better way than being so drunk that you are going to open your guitar case the next morning to discover money in it and assume, I must have played somewhere last night, and must have sounded OK...

But, there was no future in beer drinking. I can see that by looking at photos of myself from around the time I was with Karrie. Was my nose so red because I had been out in the sun all day, or did I have a cold and had just finished blowing my nose?

There was stuff in that cheap malt liquor that my body was merely tolerating. Perhaps the alcohol was sedating me and knocking me out so that I wasn't aware of the toxic accumulation of whatever, with the payoff being that I would have no inhibitions about setting up in front of some random store and busking away until a few dollars went into the jar, or the manager came out of the store to run me away. Of course this radical type of action kept the alcohol flowing...


But, it was Halloween night.
The night before, Jacob and I had busked and made nothing at all, as costumed people walked by, apparently hiding behind the anonymity of the costumes in order to not feel personally obliged to tip us; as if we would never be able to match their faces to their cheapness.

And, it was a cold night. I wasn't going to go out to play, even though on the surface it promised to be a good night.
And, somehow, it seemed like a big can of good beer would warm my blood (and release me from the ego driven count up of "days sober" which, in an of itself means little unless as a way to belittle hopeless alcoholics, or unless some blessings flow due to the sobriety).


That was a failure. The big can of beer was a downer from the sound of it opening, to the smell of the foam that rose from the opening, to the first taste of it (shouldn't the first beer in over 4 years be an epiphany of flavor?) to the buzz, which seemed like something I had improved upon with kratom, to the fact that, whatever I had been working on that night, went unfinished; and I probably got up in the middle of the night and shut the lights and the music off and saved whatever I had been writing, so that one more day without the publication of a chapter would go by...







6 comments:

  1. The trouble with drinking is, at least for me, it always escalates. A beer turns into a beer and a beer at bedtime, then a beer or two and another at night and a gin and tonic for beddy-bye, and pretty soon I'm buying handles and having a shot to steady myself at noon.

    In your case, look at your old posts because I remember your recounting, in your drinking days, waking up and not having any memory of your busking or whatever adventures of the drunk night before, and being surprised by whatever amount of money was in your case because you had no memory of that, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost never consume alcohol but I harbor no righteousness on the subject. I simply don't enjoy the buzz. I drank pretty heavily as a teen and into my band days but over the years I just got tired of it. I got tired of being around drunk people, playing for drunk people in the bars. These days I might have a rare beer or glass of champaign on occasion ( or shot of cabo wabo, yum) but I gotta smoke at least two cigarettes per drink, ha ha. If I didn't smoke I doubt I would ever touch alcohol in any form. Or coffee, tea, energy drinks, etc anything with caffeine. Nothing like a strong cup of pu-ehr tea, a coupla tokes and a camel straight...mmmm
    Anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. C. Nelson I'm glad I never took up smoking! I see people having so much trouble quitting, and it's so bad for health.

    Are you out busking at all? I don't care if you suck, get out there and blog about it. There are like two busking blogs on the entire planet, Daniel's and mine, and I keep checking. That's it. Marvin Naylor quit blogging and everyone else for years has done 2-3 posts then quit. The Earth needs more busking blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent most of the summer here in rural western MT training for my new act and getting my traveling rig together so I haven't been out for a while. The plan was to head south for the winter, busk my way down the coast and be in San Diego for christmas. Not sure I'm gonna make it though, fucking vehicle is not yet trustworthy and since i'm late getting out I need a set of snow tires to get over the passes.

      I've considered a blog, I do want to document my shit but not sure I have it in me to keep it up every day, typing it all out on a damn phone. Thanks for the thought though.

      I'm not sure the whole smoking thing isn't just a convenient scapegoat for the lack of scrutiny on other environmental pollution, diesel and gasoline exhaust, industrial effluvia, etc. I'm not saying smoking tobacco isn't dangerous but I think (like all drugs) it can be consumed by some people long term with apparent impunity. Moderation and/or genetics, dunno. I've cut way down since the beginning of my 'addiction' (which is actually contrary to the definition of addiction) and my sights are on quitting completely. Trumpet playing has contributed to my lung health considerably. You might know the story about Chet Baker getting a clean bill of pulmonary health from a doctor after decades of dope abuse and smoking like a train, lol.

      Delete
    2. I spent most of the summer here in rural western MT training for my new act and getting my traveling rig together so I haven't been out for a while. The plan was to head south for the winter, busk my way down the coast and be in San Diego for christmas. Not sure I'm gonna make it though, fucking vehicle is not yet trustworthy and since i'm late getting out I need a set of snow tires to get over the passes.

      I've considered a blog, I do want to document my shit but not sure I have it in me to keep it up every day, typing it all out on a damn phone. Thanks for the thought though.

      I'm not sure the whole smoking thing isn't just a convenient scapegoat for the lack of scrutiny on other environmental pollution, diesel and gasoline exhaust, industrial effluvia, etc. I'm not saying smoking tobacco isn't dangerous but I think (like all drugs) it can be consumed by some people long term with apparent impunity. Moderation and/or genetics, dunno. I've cut way down since the beginning of my 'addiction' (which is actually contrary to the definition of addiction) and my sights are on quitting completely. Trumpet playing has contributed to my lung health considerably. You might know the story about Chet Baker getting a clean bill of pulmonary health from a doctor after decades of dope abuse and smoking like a train, lol.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know Chet Baker got a check-up, I thought he was just another one of us in the bottom half of the population who never sees a doctor unless it's a real emergency.

    It was probably that last GF he had, who like the last GF Art Pepper had, considered him an investment and you gotta make sure your investments are sound.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.