Monday, November 18, 2019

The Serial Novel

The serial novel has taken on a life of its own.
After I tried to add some background stuff in between the first and second chapters, I wound up writing an entire chapter, so now the second one will become the third.

It's hard to arrange things so there is something like a cliff hanger at the end of each chapter.

Hopefully, after I ride my bike up to the market where I will get something to eat and maybe a cheap bottle of wine.

I am drinking again, after having bought a 24 ounce can of Tecate beer on Halloween night, which was a very cold one, which I wound up staying in for. The consumption of the beer was enlightening.
The taste didn't impress me, even though it was my first one in over 4 years.
And I was plagued by a mild outbreak of eczema, over the next 12 hours or so, after waking up with a headache -something I almost never get.
But, wine is on the menu for tonight.
I got the ID.
It wound up being $22.50.
I had to use social engineering in order to have my correct address affixed to the thing.
At first, the lady balked at accepting the envelope with my address handwritten on it.
I don't have any utility bills or phone bills sent to me.
The only copy I could find has the Lilly Pad cropped out (far left)
She was going to put the old address of The Rebuild Center on it, which is something that she said she could do (and then you can change it in the future [for another $22.50])
But, while chatting with her and telling her the whole story of my getting the apartment and the government phone, and being able to show her the spot where I busked by pointing to a picture of Alan Toussaint which was hanging on the wall at the place, with him posing in front of Lafitt's.
And, after she scrolled through my phone, trying to find some mention of my current address in there (in the "my account") section, while I yapped away; she finally saw a congruence between everything I was yapping about and the photos and text messages in the thing.
She asked me how I had gotten there; probably while reading a note from Jacob asking me if I wanted a ride to the ID place the next day.
"My friend, Jacob gave me a ride here..."
And, seeing such things as the picture of Jacob and I (the party animalz one) I guess tipped the scale in favor of her going ahead and putting my current address on the thing, despite only having a handwritten envelope as evidence of such.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on being able to bullshit/"social engineer" your way into an ID that reflects where you actually live.

    I have everything keyed to my employer's house and on paper I live there. It makes mail take an additional week or two to get to me, plus the chance that my employer might lose it (he's good at losing things) but it beats having no address at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, no! Don't go back to booze, it's the most dangerous drug out there! It's certainly not going to help your sense of timing (sorry, had to say it) I hope you can at least try to moderate. I know it's none of my business but I hate to hear about anyone 'falling off the wagon'. I lost my best drummer to booze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not advise going back to booze, but if you simply must, stick to hard booze like vodka or gin etc mixed with a non-sugary mixer.

    But better to avoid.

    What impelled you to start drinking again, after your year of great self-discipline?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where you at, Daniel?
    We waitin' on them chapters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if chapters are the wave of the future? No one makes money on a blog, but there's a thing called Patreon where you can get people to commit to a few dollars a month to "support" you, and I've heard that can work.

    Dickens used to publish novels in as many as 100 chapters. He actually got rich and famous as "Boz" and it's only much later that he became known under his own name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, chapter a day! Premium patrons would receive chapters early and ultra-premium patrons would get to share a bottle of wine and a joint with Daniel LOL seriosly, it's a thing to offer personal time to your highest premium patrons, have 'em for dinner, meet them for coffee or some shit.

      Delete
  6. To reiterate on the beer: The trouble is, sugar and carbohydrates are really not good for you, and beer's full of both.

    Although alcohol is considered to be treated in the body like sugar, it's not quite the same thing.

    Best is NO alcohol, but if you must drink, I myself found either cheap gin like Essex Place, or rather nice gin like Bombay (intermediate ones have lots of sugar in 'em) and diet tonic water, to be a good go-to. It tastes nice, it's got no sugar, and you don't get the alcohol spike you get doing shots. Tonic water itself seems to be nice for relaxing the body, so there's that too.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.