Thursday, April 22, 2021

Do The Work!

 Eye Exam Appointment

So, I did make it to 4204 Canal Street on foot, late this afternoon, to address the fact that my eyeglasses are being held together by Scotch Tape,  with the tiny screws that hold the "temples" in place having come out on both sides, and after two failed attempts to Crazy Glue™ them back in place.


Jacob Staying Here

Jacob, who has recently become homeless has stayed here the past few nights; and, has actually been active during the days, trying to remedy his situation; to include him going to the Lilly Pad this afternoon with an acoustic bass guitar and a phone with beats on it.

This is going to hopefully help inspire me to knock off the items on my to-do list, which involves everything from getting a money order to pay the rent that I have been charged because of the income that I reported as a "gig worker" -an amount that I am glad that I low-balled, so that now the 10% of it that they want amounts to about 10 bucks a week.

The theory seems to be that, if you are getting money to replace what you are no longer earning, then you should still have to pay taxes on that money, as if you did earn it...

It's like every afternoon you go out and gather coconuts but have to give one to the troll at the bridge on the way home or he won't let you pass. 

One day you go there and the coconut trees have all been burned down by a coconut tree forest fire, but there is a nice man from the government standing there who understands that you have been supporting your family by picking coconuts, and, after briefly lecturing you about vitamin deficiencies that could result from an all coconut diet, he hands you the amount of coconuts that you tell him that you usually pick. But then, at the bridge, the troll still wants his coconut for letting you cross.

So, I have to get cash from somewhere so I can purchase a money order with it to pay the rent. I have to get the vaccine. Fix the tire on one bike; fix the derailleur on the other. I have to go to the dentist that I was assigned to through Dentaquest. And, I had to go to an optometrist to try to buy new frames that I could put the lenses from these broken ones into.

The optometrist said she couldn't sell me frames unless I could prove that the prescription for the lenses was less than a year old. There is some rule against people putting old lenses in new frames, I'll be darned..

But, the place takes medicare and assured me that the money that was taken out of it over the tooth extraction that I had 6 months ago would not count against any available funds for optometry.

So, I need to cue the Psycho sound effect and maybe try to go to the dentist tommorow.

And to start thinking about equipment that I could use to busk.

Jacob is looking into getting a amplifier that you strap on your back, basically, that takes a vocal mic and a guitar and an optional auxiliary input, which can be music that you recorded at home as a backup track. The sky is the limit. 

I am starting to worry about how long it's going to take me to get back into the flow of busking again. I need to look into a guitar that is either easier to play or, more practically, the same kind of little amp.

The ambient noise level is just higher on Bourbon Street than it was ten years ago; more people carrying around powerful sound systems that fit in a purse, type of thing...

But, a Bluebird type guitar, like Dorise Blackmon had, would be nice. She had the $2,500 poly-carbon fiber model.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.