Sunday, May 16, 2021

Lust For Gear

 

For the first time in a long time, I am desirous of a particular piece of musical gear.

The silent guitar would be very quiet to sit on the bed and practice Mel Bay stuff with, and then could be plugged into an interface connected to my laptop for recording in Audacity.

The built in effects on it all sounded great in the demo videos I've watched.

For busking, it offers a great optic, I think. Busking with an almost invisible guitar; cool.

And it could be plugged into the Roland Micro Cube that I am poised to get, which will be stashed, so only its grill is exposed, in my backpack at the Lilly Pad. I imagine I could run it through the Cube's auxiliary input sending a clean signal, so the Cube's reverberation/echo effects would be applied to it.

The downside would be that I would have to always have the amp with me, which would hinder playing songs for people who stop you on the sidewalk and say, "I've got ten bucks if you can play 'Simple Man," or something like that.

As you are in the middle of breaking the guitar out and running the cable to the amp, and turning the amp on and adjusting the volume knob on the guitar, and setting the effects to the flanger, the guy might lose patience, and walk away. "I didn't realize playin' 'Simple Man' was so complicated!" he might say.

I'm planning upon making a trip to Guitar Center on the #39 bus, as soon as I find myself vertical during business hours. Today might be such an occasion, as, I woke up right around midnight, fully rested and unable to go back to sleep, and so I got on the computer, and now the sun is coming up on a Sunday morning, and the only "cons" that come to mind are the Sunday bus schedule, which might have me waiting an hour at some stop, USB interface and headset microphone in hand, waiting for the next bus back.

The headset mics are designed to run into a wireless transmitter that you wear on your belt, but I need to skip all that and run the thing directly into the interface, which is going to require some adapter. That is kind of why I want to go in person to the Guitar Center, so that a hopefully knowledgeable person could point me to the right adapter.

And, I am hoping they have the Scarlett brand of interfaces in stock because that is the one that works right out of the box with the Ubuntu Linux system I have on my laptop.


Right: I find a use for one of the calendars that the Lidgley's sent, this one from 2016.

Shown is the "bonus image" from that calendar which features the sights of Yorkshire county? in the U.K. which is where Alyne hails from.

This is also the "Lake District," which I am getting to know by sight from all the calendars. If I were to be dropped onto earth from space and land in Yorkshire, I would know where I was.

And, hopefully I would have my guitar so I could busk, as Alyne calls it "the land of sheep and tourism."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.