Monday, January 3, 2022

The Crash Of '22

When it rains it pours, it has been said.

My 2021 ended with the hard drive in this laptop becoming unreadable, and so I took it out and put in one of the hard drives that I had found in one of the many computers that have been thrown in the dumpster here.

This gives me a chance to build back better, in a sense.

At least I had cultivated the habit of saving all my daily music dumps onto a USB stick, and moved a lot of other things onto sticks to free memory for working with large Audacity files.

It was in the middle of using Audacity that I ran into memory issues.

In the back of my mind I think the problem is that the computer thinks that the hard drive is full, but that this is being caused be the latest version of Audacity that I had recently upgraded to.

I'm going to start with this fresh disk; and start from scratch.

At least Firefox the browser remembers all the logins and passwords to everywhere I go online; and I guess I can sit on the bad hard drive while Googling the particular error codes I was getting.

But right now we are in the middle of a cold snap and the temperatures are hovering around freezing. I'm about to locate the only gloves I own and ride up to the Winn Dixie before they close in another half hour or so...
Then, I will have all night to post here about starting the new year with a freshly formatted hard drive...

There is a good argument for working exclusively in the cloud, as far as being able to recover stuff that is automatically backed up there. The only drawback is that Google would then own all of your data and be able to reconstruct your brain using it, and make a robot that would effectively walk and talk and think just like you...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.