Thursday, February 3, 2022

Surviving As A Courier

3 Friends, 3 Mishaps Within 3 Days

Over a 3 day stretch, Patrick was pushed over on his bike and cracked his ribs; Dom fell down the stairs, dislocating a shoulder and breaking a thumb, and Jacob got in a minor car accident

Instead of relying upon others, I have gone out to try to play, the past couple nights, finding hardly any tourists on Monda night, and then encountering rain Tuesday night.

Last night, I wound up visiting Dom in A 206, who is still recovering from his fall down the stairs, and who was willing to let me roll cigarettes using his machine and gave me a swig of vodka and then asked me if I would make a run to the grocery store for him, which I did, in exchange for a couple bucks so I could get Harold something to eat.

Then, on my way to the Quarter, I stopped and saw Patrick, who is also laid up with a couple of cracked ribs and so I made a run to the store for him, picking up milk and eggs, cooking oil and a 2 liter bottle of Coke; along with a can of food for Harold.

It's raining pretty hard out there now, and I think I'll go knock on Dom's door to see if he needs me to make another store run after it lets up. 

It is supposed to do so after a cold front blows in that is going to drop the temperatures below 30 degrees at some point during the night.

I just got back from the ENT doctor, who managed to pull wax out of my ears which have been ringing lately. The ringing seems to be subdued already, but I will have to see if it gets even better over the coming days. There were a couple strands of Harold's orange hair stuck to the wax that came out. It's everywhere.

Tonight will be cold enough to stay in and juice a bunch of carrots that I have in the fridge, so that I don't have to drink tap water. In another 31 hours, as I sit here, I will get more food on my card; so things seem to be set up nicely for me to do a lot of Wim Hof breathing stuff; maybe even explore some yoga, and do a "guided" meditation off Youtube- maybe the one about attracting income.

I'm becoming convinced that, were I to try to get a job at Family Dollar (which has a "work today; get paid tonight" poster stuck up in various places in their store) I wouldn't be selling out, or abandoning the life of the starving artist. I find that it helps to go out to busk having not eaten all day or even the last 3 days, but going out there flat broke has no apparent bearing upon the outcome. If anything, I play better, secure in the knowledge that I don't have to make anything; and will still have everything I need.

Having something to sing about is important, but the days of me being able to sing about the life of living under the wharf and surviving "on the streets" is over; and so I don't think I have to worry about my creativity being stifled because I'm putting in a few hours here and there at the Family Dollar. Apartment dwelling life hasn't necessarily been a wellspring of creative ideas, and so, doing the "9 to 5" thing isn't going to hurt me too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.