Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Illegal Immigrant Girl Demo 4.2

Here we go again; trying to see if a Soundcloud hosted music file can be embedded into a Blogger blog...

I imagine that if I paid for the Soundcloud "premium" account then the cloud would burst and my songs would rain down into all kinds of devices. I had a good mind (well, that's debatable) to just use the Google Drive cloud storage that comes free with Google (with the only strings attached being that Google can, at some point, hold the file hostage and demand the purchase of a "premium" account to release it) and that way I could share the song with Jacob Scardino, my friend who is a multi-instrumentalist, instead of letting this raw demo version out into public. 

But, out of 70,000 songs a day that are "published" online, something like less than one percent actually get played, according to some stats that Jordan Peterson referenced, as a way to illustrate how the heirarchy of the music business plays out (pun intended)... The "Illegal Immigrant" song in this version represents maybe 16 hours of work; but would take only about 5 to "totally redo." And, I am at that juncture with it, as I have lost the original tracks to a glitch in Audacity where I explicitly told the app to "recover" projects that weren't saved properly when my Ubuntu linux system did a routine upgrade. I wasn't happy with the mix between the distorted rhythm guitar and the drum track, which were inseperable because I recorded them in an open air fashion by standing the Casio keyboard on end so that its speaker was facing the microophone and then placing the Yamaha amp next to it, and then just set the volumes of each, then played. The mix between the two became fixed; I couldn't bring up the drums without bringing up the rhythm guitar and vice versa. But, because the guitar through the amp had reverb and a bit of delay on it, I couldn't go back and add any of that to the drums without doubling its effect on the already effected guitar. That being said, as I go to record the next demo, I'm going to just record the drums on their own separate track. I was actually composing the thing that first time, so I was jamming along with the drum track, coming up with what is now the rhythm part. 

Now that I know what that is (and have it looping in my mind) I can do it on a separate track. 

So, I guess the point is that losing the original tracks and only having this mixed down demo is a blessing in disguise because it will only sound better, the next time; since I won't be hearing it for the first time, myself. 

Plus, there might come a scenario where Jacob could add a bass part to it -something that the above demo lacks. 

Plus, I have a whole page of lyrics in a notepad, hardly any of which occurred to me during that first run-through. 

So, "Walk right in, little immigrant girl!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.