Thursday, December 20, 2012

Funny You Should Ask...

  • Comedy Goes "Better"
  • Cold Front Moves In
I Played Around This Area...
Tuesday night, I arrived at the House of Blues to find that there was a different guy in charge of signing people up and introducing them.
He was a middle eastern guy and was pretty funny when he went up to kick off the show.
Betty Boo was there, but there were only a couple other comics; 4 total.
The middle eastern guy did a lot of jokes about his experiences with airport security, and other cliche topics. But, I suppose I will eventually touch upon a lot of cliches for the homeless experience.
I decided to do my Little League Baseball routine instead of the Canal Street thing, and it went over alright. 
I am beginning to see that stand up comedy; like any other art form is a craft to be worked on and perfected. How hard I have to work at it vs. how much comes naturally will go a long way in determining how hard I will work at it; if that makes sense...
The other comics; instead of rolling their eyes as if to say I've already heard all these jokes 5 times; seem to appreciate what the others are doing to improve their deliveries
I told the guy to introduce me as "Eric, The Homeless Comedian," just for the sake of using some kind of stage name for no other reason than that...
Otherwise...
Afterwards, Betty Boo said "You did better this week" to me.
It was a quiet two days.
Last night I busked for maybe one hour; still using the guitar with only a certain 4 strings on it; and inventing music for it.
An older couple walked past, carrying a large white Styrofoam container; and I could almost see them debating upon weather or not to give it to me.
They didn't, but the gentleman walked over and handed me what turned out to be 8 dollars and said "Take care of yourself," before returning to their car. That brought my total to 9 dollars for the hour.
I was figuring that their meal and drinks probably came to about 70 bucks; they left about a 20 dollar tip and had 8 dollars left over after breaking a 100 dollar bill. They decided to give me that, instead of the leftovers from their expensive meal; perhaps because they had eaten out of it and actually thought that I thus wouldn't want it.
There was a time in my life when maybe I wouldn't have but I count amongst my victories in the personal growth area, the fact that I don't have those hang-ups anymore.
Learn Perl In 21 Days
I worked for about 3 hours on a program that I am trying to write using the Perl Programming language.
What the program will do; is take anything that I type for a blog post, and automatically make the first three words of each paragraph a bit larger and a different font than the rest; and then it will choose colors at random to render each paragraph in (like I do now; but have to produce manually; with a lot of clicking of the mouse).
This program will read my plain text; and then insert the proper HTML in the proper places and then write it out to another text file; which I will cut and paste into the HTML window of Blogger, and this will save me about 10 minutes per day....
But, that is why todays post is kind of brief; I have already fished my limit of time that I can spend on the wireless network; taking up space; after the purchase of one cup of coffee and one refill only..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.