Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Smile Or Two

Yesterday, I was out in the afternoon and played the Bourbon Street spot and made about 11 bucks between 3 and 5 p.m.
Then, I knocked off before 8 o' clock so as to not even call the bluff of the girl who said that she would call the law on me if I played past 8.
I wound up on Canal Street, where I added about 5 bucks in an hour to my case and then, somehow I went off in the direction of Tanya and Dorise.
I got to them as they were winding down around 9 p.m. and they were in good spirits.
Somehow the conversation turned to Mariah Carey after I used her lyrics as an example of poor grammar in popular music...
"Nothing can stop these endless tears from falling..." was the line I pointed out in this regard.
If the tears are "endless," then, well, of course nothing can stop them...
And, lines like: "Oh, boy, you know you'll never shake me...('cause I'll always be your baby)"
Well, it sounds like she is a flea on a dog; and the poor guy is never going to "shake" her off...
It was at this point that I learned from Dorise that I had just insulted one of Tanyas idols, if not the top one of all.
"She's always trying to get me to do Mariah Carey songs, but I refuse:" said Dorise.
Well, soon, Tanya started playing "Love Takes Time" by that very same artist; and I sang, using my "Prince" style of voice to find some of the notes in Mariahs register.
After the jam (during which Tanya had her eyes closed and a look of ecstasy on her face), Dorise looked at me in astonishment and said: "I think you're a closet Mariah Carey fan!"
Well, that particular song came out back when I had nothing pressing me to take time away from driving around and singing to the songs on the radio.
It is an understatement to say that that song was on the radio, back in 1982...a lot.
I knew every note and every harmony; and I think I might have garnered the next level of respect from those musicians.
There was a lady hanging out, who mentioned to me that we had met before.
I didn't recognize her, nor the name of Sara which she told me that she had introduced herself to me by.
Maybe I was so focused upon Tanya at that time that I didn't even see Sara, even as I was being introduced to her.
She is an interesting looking pale skinned but with brown eyes girl.
Sara requested "My Girl," the temptations? song, and Tanya and Dorise complied; a group of three drunken black men began to sing along, poorly, and I eventually jumped in, doing more Prince-like harmonies and bringing a smile to Tanyas face by inserting random doo wop type ad-libs...
And that was enough to make it a very good night.
I then went and made 0 more dollars in about 45 minutes right up Royal Street where an excellent older guy and a black lady who sings and plays mandolin and a box with shims of metal attached to it which she plucks; were just packing up.
It kind of sucked to not have made any more money; but I had found two pair of socks, washed and folded and sitting atop a trash can near Popeyes earlier that day; and socks were at the top of my list of things to get; and so I am not going to stress out about being broke again; I am just going to walk Dauphin Street finishing drinks and cigarettes for people who have gone into the "no outside drinks; no smoking" clubs.
I will walk past Tanya and Dorise; just to make sure that last night wasn't a dream and I really did sing as well as Mariah Carey...
I made a hasty cardboard sign with a caricature of Mariah and "Daniels Amazing Tribute To Mariah" written on it.
I will just casually hold it as I walk past them; in a way that I know they will see it; but not as if I am actually trying to show it to them....
...should get a smile or two....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.