Saturday, September 21, 2013

Someone's Been Sleeping In My Bed

35 Dollar Friday
Friday, I woke up with about 5 bucks on me.
Here's The Church; There's No Steeple...
My only pair of pants on this side of the river were on my body and had become dirty over the course of the 3 days that I had been wearing them.
I headed for the Veaux Carre Baptist Church on Dauphine Street and its clothing room and its showers.
Open The Door,
The clothing lady had no pants (just like the emperor?) but gave me some socks, underwear and a blue shirt.
I washed my pants in the shower, happy to see most of the dirt going down the drain; and then put them on wet.
When I stepped out of the shower and was getting dressed, there was another, presumably homeless guy at the mirror, shaving.
I had seen him before on the street.
He wears life preservers around his neck. Bright orange-red life preservers.
Presumably, he is out of work; but his "trade" requires him to bring his own life preservers; and so he wears them around his neck everywhere he goes; as a way of safeguarding them (the way I wear my guitar) and as a flamboyant advertisement of his willingness and availability to go to work immediately.
Or....as just another Bourbon Street hustle...Look, buddy, the tug boat laid me off and I've got kids to feed...
He had never said a word to me on the street.
Everything but pants...

He continued to not say a word to me until I was dumping out one of my shoes, in which I had placed my money and my glasses.
Hearing the coins clink, he turned his attention to me, in time to catch a reflection of money-green in the foggy mirror.
He then turned and said his first words to me.
"Can I borrow a dollar?"
I just laughed, and said "I wish I had more than 5 dollars..."
I spared him any further sarcasm; we were in a church..
"Do you have a cigarette?" asked the guy who never would have spoken to me had he not heard coins clink.
"No I don't."
And See All The People

I went down to Royal Street, where Doreen (Doreens Jazz Band) and her husband, Laurence, had started to play as a duo, minus Paul was playing guitar at Cafe Du Monde.
He probably makes a good bit of cash doing that for 2 hours, then joins Doreens band for about 4 hours and then goes down to Jackson Square to sit in with any number of horn players until sundown.
Paul has a good life.
Then, I encountered Tanya and Dorise, who were in good spirits and were amused by my tale of having had to wash my pants in the shower because I rolled off of my cardboard.
"Why did you roll off your cardboard?" asked Tanya.
"I think I was having a dream that I was on fire and I 'dropped and rolled' in the dream."
I told Tanya about the Snow Crab Roll, Blue Crab Roll and California roll of sushi which I had found and eaten the previous night.
"Oh, I should have hung out with you last night!" (causing Dorise to look up to see my reaction to that).
"Yeah, you could have slept next to me on my cardboard; it folds out. Maybe then I wouldn't have rolled off of it.
And maybe the ants would have preferred Chinese food to my right arm..." 
There were smiles all around.
I ran the errand of running to Rouses for a gallon of distilled water for Tanya, and a quart of mango-orange juice (not from concentrate) for Dorise.
Returning with those items double-bagged, I said: "I got you a gallon of vodka instead of water, I think I know what's best for you, Tanya...It will loosen you up."
She smiled and then let me keep the change of 77 cents; and then added "I should tip you; do you want a tip?"
I left their spot 2 dollars and 77 cents to the good; and went to Uniques for my second beer.
Someones Been Eating My Porridge
Then, I went towards my playing spot across from Barnabys, where I was shocked to see two guys with guitars standing and playing right where I usually sit.
My blood pressure started to increase as I approached them with my brain scrambling for the best way to handle the situation.
They were playing pretty decently, and their sound quality was enhanced by the expensive guitars which they had.
I caught the eyes of some of the locals; who seemed to be communicating "Let's see how he handles this," as I closed the last hundred yards or so to the spot.
There was an obvious (by his Hawaiian shirt) tourist barely managing to stand in front of them.
He was handing them money as I arrived and gushing over the one with the expensive resonator guitars ability to work 2 and 3 note chords into his solos (which is exactly my own technique when soloing).
I sat patiently on Lillys step, while he gushed; trying to think of what angle to take.
I knew that the ace up my sleeve would be to ring Lillys doorbell and have her run them off; but decided not to over react.
"Are you guys new in town?" I asked, as I greeted them.
They said that they were.
I told them that I played at that spot every night.
"Do you want us to pack up?" asked one of them.
I thought about how slow it was at the time, and even though I had just apparently missed out on a 20 dollar tip from Hawaiian shirt man, there didn't seem to be many more of him around.
I also thought, that if I were to leave and then either Lilly or Barnaby showed up, they would either be run off (in the case of Lilly, my love) or cautioned (by Barnaby) that there is a guy who regularly plays there, whom "we kind of gave permission to play here" who might show up.
I told them that the block was a residential one and that technically there is a curfew on performers at 8 o' clock each night, but that I had gotten to know the residents over the past 2 years and they never call the cops on me.
Amicable Solution
I could sense that they were trying to determine if we were having a confrontation or just a discussion; and decided upon this approach:
"I don't usually come here until about 9:30 or so," I said; testing the water to see if they planned upon staying all night.
"Oh, we'll be out of here by then!
"OK, that's cool"
I Play The Lilly Card
Then, I got the notion to turn things around, so that they would think that I was trying to help them.
"Um, if the lady that lives behind you -her name is Lilly- comes out and tries to run you off; tell her you spoke with Daniel and he said he isn't coming back until about 9:30. She has run other musicians off before."
"Sure," they said, seemingly content that I was now looking out for them; rather than trying to confront them over the spot.
I thought I handled that pretty well, as I went toward Sydneys to get another beer and to see if I wanted to play near there.
It would have been different if I had walked up at 11 at night when the street was swarming with tourists, with them there, raking it in. Then I would have played the Lilly card more aggressively.
I took the long walk to Canal Street to get some herbs; spending myself down to zero; but giving me something to barter with.
No sooner had I gotten back to the middle of the Quarter, when I ran into someone who gave me the entire 5 bucks which I had spent on herb back, in exchange for what I had left.
Harmonica = $
I wound up getting to my spot around 9 p.m. to see that the two guys had left.
Son, you may think that you're skeezing the Lord, but you're not...
I thought that I played well, especially on the harmonica based songs; and the presence of the two guys had wound up serving as a motivator for me to make sure that there was no drop off in 2 and 3 note chords with me replacing them.
My case was soon "full" of what I thought were all one dollar bills, but this morning, I found a five amongst them; bringing the total figure to about 35 bucks; as the slow season nears its end.
It started raining at about 4 in the morning, forcing me under the statue of  Simon Bolivar with his colony of ants.
It is still raining, but I will try to salvage something out of the day.
Tomorrow the Saints have a home game at the dome; and I will make sure I don't repeat the failure of 2 weeks ago to arrive in time to play for the masses.

3 comments:

  1. How come you can't play by Cafe Du Monde, or with any bands? Since you're the best guitarist in NOLA (we all know, you've told us enough times!) why not get into better paying venues?

    And that swing style, a chord for each beat, is hot right now since it's used by the backing players in Gypsy jazz, which is *very* hot right now. Learn a Gypsy jazz song or two (they tend to be instrumental) and see if the money doesn't come rolling in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can, and have played by Cafe Du Monde; and the dozen or so people right in front; have been very generous;
    -it's the tired old "you need a certain amount of volume" thing; I think I will eventually divide this blog into B.A and A.A. (after amplification) after I become amplified -and I will- and then the place will be my oyster...
    I think my friends who have had to busk for the money for their own amps don't want to deprive me of that character building experience; but I am nibbling around the edges of getting an amp and might go ahead despite what had stopped me in the past; namely; carrying the thing around until it earns you enough to buy a bike pulling a trailer thing -even one of those baby toting gizmos- with the amps, mic, and box full of CDs for sale in it; which can be ridden off at the end of the night to some spot way out by somewhere that nobody really even knows where is; type of thing....
    But, I don't play the Cafe because I'm not loud enough, basically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! A bike's a good idea, in fact when I came back to California after losing everything in the 2007 crash, and hiding out in N. Arizona (hell on earth) for a year, I figured what I'd do is have a bike with panniers at least, and do my thing during the day (I actually thought there were money in drawing caricatures) and then ride to various points too distant for the average skeezer-on-foot to sleep at night. And theoretically make enough money to stay in a motel for the 3 cold months.

    I still think it'd be a viable plan if I didn't have the place I do. As it is, if I lose the place I have, I guess plan B is to move to my employer's huge McMansionesque house in the middle of suburban wasteland, with 3 cats. Plan C is to move to the Santa Cruz mountains with a gun-nut guy I know, which would be fine in the respect as I'm a gun nut too, but moving there would mean closing the door on high-tech completely, as I'd be too far from any high-tech to ever work in it again. But high-tech is such a loser of a field anyway, that that may be an improvement.

    But the bike+trailer idea is a good one because those wheels give you something like 5X the traveling ability as being on foot, and you can put some real distance between yourself and bad people.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.