Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Slow News Day

Tuesday, the 29th was a slow news day, which began with me waking up at Leslies apartment; after I had broken my own rule, and crashed there.
We were the only ones there; no strippers; no heroin addicts; no wheelchair skeezers; no pathological liars; no thieves.
Goose Skeezing?!?
By noon, I had had 8 hours of sleep; and was ready to start my day.
Leslie was ready to start drinking.
I had split a 20 dollar tip with him Monday night; which fell into my case while we were jamming on dual harmonicas; and so, he had beer money.
I tried to organize my thoughts, and come up with an itinerary.
I needed a few guitar picks, and I wanted to find Howard -not a very complicated order; but, with Leslie tagging along, and stopping to talk to all kinds of people; most of whom were looking for a dollar; I had to stay focused.
The Goose Lady
I managed to part with him amicably; after we had walked the length of Bourbon Street; stopping one time to view a photograph in a gallery which Leslie insisted that I see.
It was a picture of "The Goose Lady," whom Leslie remembers from years ago; when she used to walk around the French Quarter, followed by a goose (shown) and a few little ganders (not shown). ..."and people would give her money and buy her drinks all the time...."
Leslie, being a "people person" (to a fault), was thrilled to see a picture of the goose lady.
I took a picture of the picture (above).
I woke up this (Wednesday) morning; under the dock; and turned my phone on to discover that Leslie had left a message.
He seems to want to meet with me each morning and then spend the day in my company; drinking and smoking, then drinking some more.
He hasn't been in any condition to play music, by sundown, the past few nights.
I had my energy drink; and then came here to the library; where I copied the NFL football schedule; and will try to find Howard on the other side of the river; so we can resume our friendly football prognosticating contest.
I think it would be well, in the future, if I postpone running into Leslie, until the evenings, or whenever I decide to start drinking, whichever comes first....
Some day; I may be in a situation where more sobriety is called for; such as being set up on Royal Street where running to the restroom every 25 minutes due to beer consumption would be a hindrance and would cut into the "bottom line" profits.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some sort of animal would help you get tips, but an animal's a lot of responsibility. I bet she raised that goose from an egg and so it "imprinted" on her, thus it would follow her around. Around my area, there's a guy who plays a pocket trumpet at San Jose Sharks games, and he always has a pet rabbit with him. The rabbit munches on a small "haybale" of grass, and the dude plays his trumpet with a sign saying "PLEASE PAY ME FOR MY MUSIC" and granted, he can play a lot of short little versions of a ton of songs, but it's all pretty commercial and calculated.

    I have a cornet again, and "lip" wise I didn't fall very far behind in the last 8 months or so I've been without one. I'm practicing every day, and should be out busking again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lips are so swollen and chapped from 4 hours harmonica jams that I can hear it in my annunciation of certain words like I have just come from the dentist with Novocaine on one side of my jaw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owwww.

    I don't know how some of those harmonica masters do it for the hours they do. Although, they tend to become experts in customizing harps and filing them down etc to make them comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.