Friday, December 1, 2017

A Cartoon Of Me

It has been rather slow, in the way of production of anything; this girl's face that I drew was a failure that I salvaged by covering up mistakes and then running it through one of the GIMP editor's filters, one called "posterize." I actually had run it through several filters that I have lost track of. "Inverting" colors is one of my favorite effects....

The Cartoon

I have this idea of making a comic strip of myself.


This would have to something that I could draw very quickly, so that the actual scene depicted and the dialogue could be rendered without myself being bogged down by details in the drawing.
I would have to come up with a system for cranking out the face, like using a cookie cutter.

There was a teacher that we had in high school, whom I wound up drawing a lot of cartoons of.

I soon had developed a procedure for drawing his head, starting with a certain oval shape which I would then fill in, using static techniques for producing the different facial features.

This led to his character being depicted staring straight ahead in the same way in every frame; so that, even if he were behind the wheel of a car and "should be" watching the road, he would be staring straight at the viewer. I thought this was funny and served as kind of a built in disclaimer of: Hey, I'm not really a cartoonist.

I'm sure there are terms used by cartoonists to describe this; the same way that there is a name for how the Egyptians drew both of their characters' feet in a line that would put a lot of stress on the leg joints if imitated in life.
The Prototype
I think that if I developed one face that is speaking, and used the above one for everything else, I might be able to start dabbling in comic strip creation.
Maybe I could add a profile shot, which I could use in either direction, say, if David the Water Jug Player is depicted to either side of me saying, perhaps: "Pleeese tell me you have some weed, Daniel!!" in a voice bubble.

72 Hour Food Watch

It is just about 72 hours now, from when my food stamp card will be loaded with 137 bucks.

They are still giving me that small amount, pursuant to my having mentioned to them that I busk a little bit, in order to buy toothpaste and toilet paper.

The lady from the Ministry of Families and Food, or whatever her title is, after being told by me that I am "unemployed," will typically ask a question to the effect of: "Well, then what do you wipe your ass with?," to which the in-the-know food stamp applicant would say: "I get a little help from my neighbors."

This is according to Rose, who gave me that advice, along with the advice of: "You never should tell them that!," when I told her about the little bit of busking.

So, now the burden is on myself to correct that, which might involve a couple more trips to the food stamp office. Add that to the list of things that I have been procrastinating over...

My cabinet at home has a bag of popcorn (which I have stopped eating, along with all other forms of corn, especially high fructose corn syrup) and a couple bags of beans; that's about it...

10 Dollar Thursday Night

If that.

I got to the Lilly Pad at around 11:30 PM and played until about 1 AM.

It is Friday night, and I found 20 bucks on the ground on the way here to the Uxi Duxi.

After donating plasma and getting paid 35 bucks Wednesday night, I bought an ounce of kratom at the Herb Shop, which stays open in the Quarter until 10 PM. It was only $13.20 out the door.

1 comment:

  1. Look up a cartoon called "Tom Tomorrow" it's done by taking a photo of a person by Xeroxing it and then Xeroxing the Xerox, and then Xeroxing that ... after a few cycles it looks like a cool cartoon and I think the guy cleans it up a bit.

    See, in art, you're allowed to cheat. In art *school* you're not allowed to cheat, but as a working artist, you can cheat your head off, Xerox things, use an overhead projector, etc., and it's all OK.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.