Wednesday, October 17, 2018

I Want To Avail Myself To Your Charms


Freeloading

I guess every day spent, but not financed through busking falls into the category of freeloading.

What am I supposed to do? I listen to the self help, self hypnosis tapes that are telling me that everything I need will materialize and to not worry, since the lilies of the field don't, and that somehow the universe will conspire to bring abundance to me, in abundance.

So, on the night that I didn't busk and make what averages out to 14 bucks an hour for this time of year and for a Sunday, I found the 14 dollars laying on the sidewalk. I had gotten a one pound bag of kratom as a birthday gift from Erin at the Uxi Duxi, and into Monday and Tuesday I went, spending most of that time doing stuff like the recording above, which is myself embarking upon the journey of using my newfound knowledge of sampling and of using the Cecelia 5 "ear bending sonics" application to lay down some funky grooves, surely, but then to integrate these beats into the music that I had already been doing, minus the samples of the voice of Fiona Apple, stretched so that one individual sample of the 44,400 per second that "CD quality" is comprised of, might ring for ten seconds.
It occurred to me that this (these recordings) is more of what I would like to sound like when I busk; all coming from one guy, of course...



"Back In The U.S.S.R." Hubert's Trip -Daniel Mckenna, Jacob Scardino and Kevin Bape
So, while on the subject...

When we jammed Sunday evening (above) in Bob's backyard, it soon became apparent that low flying jets would be passing overhead periodically.

So, I decided that every time a plane flew overhead we should go into that Beatles song, the recording of which which begins with the sound of a jet flying by, overhead.

Of course, back in the 1960's, George Martin and the boys were probably using the plane as a cool way to sneak in a "stereophonic" effect, since, back then something that came in one speaker and then passed through the room, then exited out of the other speaker was amazing, and worth listening to several times over.

This tape, I distilled out of the only existing recording of that jam -it was the night that we thought we were recording, but weren't- which came off of Jacob's phone.

Once in my studio, I applied some digital mixing tricks.

As can be heard, Kevin Bape, the drummer took a while to settle down and play actual beats, sounding like the 16 year old just getting on the drum kit and "taking 'er for a spin" that he is, initially.

All things considered, especially the fact that he was unfamiliar with the songs we were doing, added to the fact that the mix between the instruments was fixed according to where Jacob's phone was placed, this is a pretty accurate snapshot of what we subjected the neighborhood to that evening.

Jacob and Kevin were intentionally trying to drown out some of the more off-color lyrics in some of my songs, which accounts for the cacophony that arises during Hubert's Trip during the line where self gratification is mentioned.

I had a cool little black and white video that I planned upon having loop on the screen while this played, but Openshot Video Editor is acting up on me again.

But, the good news there is that there was an "update available" which I downloaded and am looking forward to the "better stability" that it promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.