Monday, November 12, 2018

Will He Get The Job?!?


"Hi, my name is Daniel, and first off, your wife has very lovely eyes and favors Fiona Apple a bit...
"I know some important people..."
The reason I'm here is that I am looking for work..."

These are the proprietors of the Favela Chic establishment on Frenchmen Street.
I am dreaming big.
I go in there and prep food and then help out through the dinner rush, lending assistance to the girls, trying to pull my weight and more; not afraid to apply elbow grease and take on chores that would be the demise of a lesser man, like scooping the shit out of a toilet that has become clogged, scraping the cheese out of a baking tray that has to be used again and hasn't time to soak....and vomit, always vomit...
And then, 44 dollars goes into my hands out of the back door, and I am perhaps well fed on stuff that was on plates that I was given to wash, where it was evident that they, for example ate almost all of one burrito and didn't even touch the second one, type of thing...
Then, I grab my gear and walk 11 minutes to the Lilly Pad, where I set up in order to catch the stragglers, and add who knows how much more money to the evening's take...
Gosh, wouldn't delicious tequila just complete that picture...
"Um, sir, I have been going on three years sober... (tells humorous story of having been hit by a car on night before quitting drinking)."
"I do get a voucher to pay my rent, so I'm looking for something to make a little cash, like I do with my guitar...-scratch that; too much information, they just want a guy to show up and scrape pots....

But, this is what I am up against; these are the people who would have to hire me.

I'm going to walk up to the guy; some time this century; but I digress...
I will put on my cleanest "Make America Great" shirt and, er, scratch that, they look Nicaraguan...
I will just have to hope that if I promise to show up when needed to scrape the cheese, and maybe explain my situation to the guy, maybe not disappear for three days after the first bill at least as large as a twenty enters my hands, and explain myself to the guy, maybe have my guitar with me so he might deem that him hiring me was in some way supporting "the arts."
There is one in Paris...
But I'll be trying to get work at the one in New Orleans...

1 comment:

  1. Spend $10 or $15 and get a decent hair cut, then get some decent looking glasses and keep your present ones as back-ups, get some decent clothes, and see if you can get the job. Yeah, that's right, you have to look good and smell good even to clean toilets.

    But seriously, this is a busking blog. People don't want to learn about cleaning toilets and how many doses of kratom you take, they want to read about what you play, how the public reacts to certain songs, about the entertaining/appreciative/weird people you interact with, especially if they're other musicians or people who tip you, etc. They want to know about logistics, why it's better to borrow a milk crate from The Quartermaster rather than bring your own, etc.

    They want to imagine themselves out there!

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.