Wednesday, November 14, 2018

An Even Better Song

Money Arrives

I was leaving my apartment, after having made the discovery of more change that had fallen out of my back pocket when I was sleeping on the bed.


I have not gone looking for work yet at the restaurant that Erin said paid their employees cash.

If I was really smart, and was absorbing the self-help dialogues, I would set my sights far above the mediocrity of washing dishes at some restaurant.
The self help dialogues tell me to program my other than conscious mind to work out the details in the attainment of my goals and dreams and to not worry about what "happens."

So, I was doing a good job, after having added the coins from the bed to the ones that had fallen out on the couch, which brought the total of money that I had to my name to the exact amount for a can of cat food, with a couple cents left over. I wasn't freaking out nor worrying where my next meals was coming from.

Things were working out, for the moment, I was embracing uncertainty.

 The temperature was a chilly 43 degrees, and I didn't have gloves.

By the time I was leaving, I had less than a half hour before they closed, and so I left my umbrella, even though it was lightly drizzling. It would slow me down, keeping me from putting both hands on the handle bars...

I checked my mailbox, since I have to go that way until I get a new key card.

There was a letter from my mom in the box that had a very timely gift of money in it. It had been post marked "Saturday," and here it was Tuesday...It takes a whole week just to mail something across town, but something from New England arrives in 3 days!!

I had been down to 67 cents. The weather was as described above. It's not that I couldn't handle busking in it, but that the tourists can't handle coming out in it.
It's the same thing on this Wednesday night, as I sit here.

I guess I will buy cat litter, maybe wash some clothes; or maybe make an even better song.

3 comments:

  1. It's been hovering around near 40 overnight here, a bit over or a bit under...

    Your comment about change spurred me to count out the quarters I have saved up in a French Market coffee can, and I've got exactly $20 in quarters. The (non-copper) pennies, nickels, and dimes go in another container, that I want to put through the local Coinstar when it's full... I need to see if I can get 100% of my money if I take an Amazon gift card, otherwise I take a 12% or so hit, no biggie though.

    Busking's funny; I got about $4 in quarters on Tuesday, and absolutely no change at all on Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like there is a large enough sample of people there; using my theory that I make a quarter for every 13 people who pass, give or take a quarter person.
    It is the same at the Lilly Pad. Were I to resolve to sit at my spot for a predetermined amount of time, say, three hours, I would see probably 200 people...my "five" key is broken so add six to that...
    And, I would "expect" fifty bucks.
    Maybe this should be my goal; to put in three solid hours; no leaving after a glance down the street shows it to be deserted for the moment; Murphy's Law of Busking states that a group of a dozen people are going to materialize from out of the bar or from around a corner at the sound of the guitar case being zipped up with the guitar in it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. $50/day is more than my day job pays, and you've also got a much nicer free place than I do. Plus, Oh yeah, you're getting food stamps for food that in my case I have to work and pay for, plus medical that again I have to pay for (yeah I have medi-cal but the reality is I have to pay for things).

    Keep in mind you are holding up a third of the busking blogs on the entire planet of 7 billion+ people. Make it about busking, not dish-washing, loansharking, selling plasma, small-time drug-dealing, begging, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.