Tuesday, January 22, 2019

After 2 Years, Barred From The Uxi Duxi

It was a smiling and flamboyantly dressed Nathaniel, the general manager of the Uxi Duxi who was standing in front of me, after he had exited through the gate that leads to the office somewhere on the second floor.

The owner had walked out with Nathaniel, but then had retreated back up the wrought iron steps after having exchanged a brief word with him.

"I'm here to tell you that you are barred from the Uxi Duxi, and that it's by popular concensus. You are no longer welcome at the Uxi Duxi and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't loiter around the premises!"

This is the same smiling Nathaniel who had regularly given me a slice of pineapple in my half shot of kratom.

The same one whom I had asked Chloe to text, so that I could tell him that Addie, the new(est) manager had asked me, when I had been packing up my stuff Thursday night, if I would "not come back."

Addie said that there had been complaints about me by customers. She said that she wasn't comfortable going into the specifics of the complaints.

She couldn't tell me which customers complained.

She added that I had been "mean" to a customer.

When pressed a bit further, although I had had a good mind to not react to her any more than I would have if she had said "Be careful riding your bike home," she boiled it down to: "You hardly spend anything, and then you sit for five or six hours using the wi-fi!"

So, I showed up on Friday and confirmed from Chris, who evinced no signs of being among the "popular consensus," that Addie is indeed the new manager, having unseated Chris himself from that lofty position.

Chris' advice to me was to "Talk to Nathaniel."

So, Saturday, I showed up hoping to do so.

Chloe, evidently not a member either of the popular consensus, seemed surprised and a bit shocked that Addie would have done such a thing.

And so she texted Nathaniel, who walked out with Den-A the owner with him as if to bolster his courage or to remind him not to use any specific language which could in a court of law be used in a descrimination lawsuit by myself, "who heretofore will be referred to as the second party," type of thing.

There had been, a couple nights before she barred me, an occurrence of me saying: "We need to build that wall!" which I had said kind of sarcastically, and in response to something that is totally peripheral to any issues surrounding the building or not building of the wall on the U.S./ Mexican border.

Addie had flipped out and started to sputter: "What does the wall have to do with the education of inner city kids?!?"

Nothing really, and that's why I thought she might get the irony.

"Can you just not come back?"
That is certainly something that Dineh might have coached Nathaniel not to mention.

"Patron barred from kava bar for supporting Trump" might just be the viral headline I've been waiting my whole life for, though....

Other theories: That they want the place to be "upscale" in every way and are even going to start putting pressure on the lower middle class working stiffs that go in there who are a step above me.

That Dineh, the owner is trying to get back at my friend Jacob for having snubbed his homosexual advances...

One of the other ironies is that the "five or six hours" that I have been accused of bilking the establishment for in exchange for the minimum purchase has often been augmented by my having stayed around for the last half hour or so before they closed, rather than packing up and riding off, leaving Addie, a defenseless woman, alone in the place, guarding at least five thousand dollars worth of merchandise that would fit in a pillow case.

This prompted her to snap: "You need to leave right now!" one time when I was still in there at a minute past the hour.

And, she has chewed people out for using the restroom without buying anything, calling one young African American in particular who looked like she and her whole party were from "the hood," "disrespectful."

The guy's she was with had been leaning over the glass case, probably making note of the price tags on things, while feigning a curiosity over "what that is," and "what that?"

And for Addie to have cussed out the ghetto queen like that...Lord have mercy on her soul.

Surely it crossed their minds what a nice lick could be had there. And how easily they could be in and out, especially when Addie is in there by her lonesome, and how it would be payback for having cussed out his girlfriend.

Yup, I saw the whole thing brewing.

Maybe I'm a bit more skeezer smart than Addie. Plus, I had stepped outside for a cigarette, which gave me the advantage of being able to hear the tones of voice used in reference to "that bitch," who had cussed one of them out.

1 comment:

  1. Trump - who honestly I don't know if you support or not although I suspect you do - is such a cancer that you can't even joke about supporting him. It's kind of like being in tight with a black coffee shop and letting some "Isn't it great the Klan adopted a highway" remarks. It just won't fly.

    Part of it may be demeanor, personal grooming or lack thereof, personal cleanliness or lack thereof, etc. Keep in mind hair contributes a lot to personal B.O. I've figured out that besides armpits, it's 1/3 each hair, ass, and feet. Armpits are their own thing but you can have 'em under control and you'll still smell "musty" if you're not taking care of those other areas too. Especially in warm climates, you gotta keep clean.

    I pretty much burned my bridges with a ride-share up to a place in the Santa Cruz Mountains where I was being paid something like $25 an hour to do electronics tech stuff, when, since the little cross street directly across from the front gate is called Ashcroft, I made a comment about it being named after John Ashcroft, such a wonderful guy. I just wanted them to remember it. But it got me off on the wrong foot, and I never recovered. Joke's on them though, the hassle of getting up there didn't really make it worth the $25 an hour.

    I'd try to find a different coffee shop is all. Order your kratom online, and find somewhere more skeezer-friendly.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.