Tuesday, April 30, 2019

You Ever Hear The Intro To Fly Like An Eagle?

Four Years Behind

It is a Monday, and one which is falling right after a weekend of Jazzfest.

In the past, I have found that a lot of businesses were running skeleton crews and places were closing early on these Mondays and Tuesdays, because their employees had just “pulled doubles,” and other painful sounding things, through the weekend, and I have found that the tourists, seemingly take a cue from this phenomenon and decide to perhaps, stay in the hotel, making for some pretty desolated street views.

Brandy

Sunday night, I was visited by a heavy set black lady, whom I initially tried to guess the name of, thinking (out loud) that she was named after some place.

After guessing “Georgia,” “Cheyenne,” and maybe “Trinidad,” I was informed that I had been “close” in that she was actually named after a drink. That’s about as close to a place as it gets.
It wasn’t the joke guess of “Mai Tai,” nor was it “Sambuca,” which she wishes it was, but rather; Brandy.

Brandy presented an interesting challenge, after she had sat down on Lilly’s stoop.
I had been playing well enough to have gotten her to sit down.
She was definitely a well traveled looking heavyset black lady who had kind of a dred locked and tattooed appearance.

I got the sense that she would be able to see through any fake bullshit type of music, and was able to play alright after I had reminded myself that, I would have to continue playing after she left, for at least another hour, and I chose music that I could sustain for that length of time, rather than try to hit some kind of crescendo, in order to draw a tip from her.

She did a good job, I thought, of remaining ambiguous as to whether or not she even had a dime on her, or if she was someone who would drop a hundred dollar bill -provided it didn't seem like I was just trying to get a tip out of her.

She did drop what wound up being two ten dollar bills in the basket. "Harold will eat tonight," I said out loud to nobody.

This -the tip- was good because it was generally a loud night at the Lilly Pad, with at least four or five visitations by the traveling boom box guys who ride around until they see a group of more than a dozen people convened, conveniently for them, somewhere, and then stop by them and begin to play "DJ" -instant party type of thing...

One of them stayed for what seemed like 45 minutes and then rode off only after I had had enough of him and was ready to take a break; 25 bucks to the good.

Even so, I came up with a really killer riff in the key of F minor, not your typical guitar key, by playing along as best I could with his portable music.

I have put money on my American Express Serve card and will now proceed to the computer room to post this, and to possibly buy a gigabyte or two of data for my government phone while I’m online, so I can start to experiment with conserving data.

I found out through the guy in India whom I talked the Assurance Wireless team that it was my laptop, and not the phone that it was tethered to that was consuming the data.

I need to Google: “How do I keep my laptop from consuming extraneous data through a hotspot?”

And, while I’m at it, I would really like to find forums on Cecilia, the “ear bending sonics” application that I have used to get the lobe twisting sounds heard on the recent videos I’ve embedded here, as well as on Audacity.

It is an impressive application, but it is bedecked with all kinds of menus and functions that I know almost nothing about, but which give me the impression that I could do even cooler stuff with Cecilia.

Somewhere on the web there must be some explanation of what the “random delay amp” setting does in the multiband harmonizer “module” in Cecilia.
I think it could be broken down to a layman.

What is confusing is that you could feed a sound file that runs for an hour into Cecilia and process it any one of a million ways and save the output file.
But, there are also modules which work upon very short samples of less than a quarter second.

These are used to take the shortest possible sample of, say, the human voice and then create a musical instrument that has all the usual notes but which have the timbre of that particular human voice holding that particular note for a tenth of a second with no vibrato.

Feeding an hour long sound file into a module such as that seems to be pointless, but none of them are equipped with pop up boxes that would say something like: “The pelletizer is designed for working on audio of very brief duration, are you sure you want to load this file. Only the first .03 seconds will actually be utilized...” type of thing.

I’m not complaining, I mean there is another employment opportunity for someone to contact all the developers of each individual module and obtain a brief description, in as layman’s terms as possible, what the module is good for.
Things like “You ever hear the beginning of ‘Fly Like An Eagle,’ off The Steve Miller Band’s ‘Book of Dreams’ album, well they were using a legacy synthesizer that this module is intended to mimick...” would be gems in the hands of a person who is starving at the creative banquet of life, due to not knowing what anything on that menu that pops up when you hover the mouse over a certain spot is useful for.

Forums on Audacity would be cool to find also.

Alex in California, I would guess, might be a good resource, given that he seems to understand how Reddit even works, for example.

I found a video on Youtube that had the audacity, excuse the pun, to be entitled “Cecelia Tutorial,” and yet, well.

The guy loaded a sound file into the “pelletizer module,” at which point I thought: “Good, I wondered what that one does...”

He then proceeded to play around with the parameters, saying basically that, only through experimenting and playing around with the parameters can you figure out what the pelletizer can do, and saying the ear and mind bending, “OK, that didn’t seem to do anything,” after having slid one of the handles to an extreme position, maxing its setting out, or something.

First of all, why the hell didn’t he play around with it and get some cool stuff happening, which he could replicate the steps towards once he started recording himself making a jackass of himself.

Again, I’m not complaining, this means there are further employment opportunities in taking an application that is used by thousands of people and posting up some ostensible “tutorial” on it, and just fudging your way through it “Again, you have to just play around...” while garnering enough hits on the topic to have positioned your page near the very top of Google results, and then sell some kind of ad-space, or allow some third party company to cull the IPS addresses of all who visit the page, in exchange for a fee...

Again, I’m not complaining. You have to just play around.

Well, that didn’t do anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.