Friday, June 21, 2019

A Thursday For Recording

[Song removed because I think it sucked upon revisiting it]
So, what is bugging me is that I caught the person or persons who have been loving all the music I have been putting on my Soundcloud, in the act of liking the last song that I posted, without having even listened to it.
Their "like" popped up, along with the (I now believe) form letter style praise of it, and of course their invitation of me to join their community of some kind, where I am promised that my stuff will be potentially heard by almost a million people or something.

Sure, but, my music could potentially be heard by almost a million people already.
Here's How It Works
I put the stuff on soundcloud like I would put my classic 1967 Camaro body in a barn, supported by wooden horses and having been sanded and painted with legion coats of paint.
And there sits the body, atop the wooden horses and with the sheet of heavy plastic or the nylon tarp at rest on the floor nearby, waiting to cover the car again as soon as you are done looking.
And, for someone to like the song, especially accompanied by the heart icon and the praise, which sounded legit.
I remember my initial reaction being fear. Fear that now I had a reputation to uphold, now I had people counting upon me to deliver more of the same.
So, I suppose the false flattery that I exposed is a license to do whatever I want, like it or not.
But, back to the million people...
If I ever should weld a motor to a frame and attach the body to that and then put plush upholstery and all the latest tech gadgets in it; then I will take that baby for a spin, and maybe even ride right down Hollywood Boulevard, type of thing.
This would be if I were to combine very topical and current lyrics, a musical one-liner about anything that is going on in the world, and put these lyrics with some heavily worked out, dope sounding music, (there are flashes of this in the soundcloud songs. The way the sleazy pros would do it is to take that one spot that sounds really good and put it on a loop; now the listener is going to hear it 82 times, but will be focusing upon the Facebook post level lyric (which will be repeated also).
So, in the above analogy, taking the pimped out ride out for a spin would be me posting the tune on my Facebook and then personally notifying my friends, individually perhaps, that I think I have really come up with a gem of a song*, and that they should really listen to it and to tell all of their average of 72 friends to also listen to it and share alike...
This is the potential to have my music heard by almost a million people.
*And, of course, I would have played the song for everyone I know, who all, from the lady who sits at the security desk up front, to Wayne, my next door neighbor, to the guy who sells me Bang energy drinks at a nearby store.
"This is you?!?" they would be mandated to ask.
If they couldn't believe it was me, or had grave doubts that I had just downloaded something, then put my voice on it, using some new app; then all the better. It would have to be that kind of song before the Facebook marketing would even be considered..
But, as the boy who cried "wolf" would tell you. If you post some bullshit, and then make the same plea, you may be finished, through, kaput. The boy had a pretty good run of crying "wolf" I recall. I don't think it was until about the half dozenth false report that he was ignored. Well, that book came out well before social media.
You probably get about 3 cries your whole life. Then you can forget about the potential to reach almost a million people...
So, I give you the nice, shiny body of a '67 Camaro from back when the body bag business was thriving, but I digress. The song above.

1 comment:

  1. As I keep saying, if you are poor in resources, bandwidth, etc. then, to me anyway, the only way to break out of obscurity is to have a really good act on the street. Let the Kool Kids with solid-gold iPhones and $1000 a month connect plans take care of the publicity. Work on things like CDs, or codes for uploads like Tanya does, customized guitar picks, things like that, that they can take back to Iowa and say, "Gee, remember that guy in New Orleans with the funny song about a mule?"

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.