Tuesday, July 9, 2019

15 Dollar Monday After Essence Festival

I am working offline. It is July 8th, and I have about 100 megabytes of data left through my government phone, that I am using as a hotspot.
I think the reason that my data got consumed in 5 days last month is because my other phone, the "smart" one, was also automatically connecting to the hotspot and was getting notifications from all kinds of websites, plus using data in the background.
By turning the wi-fi off on the smartphone, I have been able to milk my data for about the past 15 days. I used only about 100 megabytes yesterday, and I would be able to purchase that amount of data for 1 dollar, through the Assurance Wireless website.
For 5 dollars, I can get a gigabyte, which might last me a week.
I was confused before.
My government phone is a "ANS" variety.
The data comes through Virgin Mobile.
The operating system is Android OS.

But, somehow Sprint is involved, as is Assurance Wireless.
Maybe Sprint handles the voice calls, and Assurance the mobile data...

When Bobby in building C bought me the LG Aristo smartphone, the guy at the place handed me a sheet of paper with an e-mail address on it.
It was McKenny400500400@gmail.com
I think the guy intentionally misspelled my name.
This might be so that, if I had bad credit with or owed another place (like Boost Mobile) money, I wouldn't be flagged in the computer and he would be able to sell me the phone.
But, just like getting a valid license makes you become a citizen, getting a new e-mail account, to me, seems like the equivalent of being born again.
I could start a new Facebook using the new email address, or a different Soundcloud account. I could start all over with a new online identity, just because of being given an email account by the T Mobile people.
In a way, I don't know how they can do that.
I think I needed to give an existing email address when I signed up for gmail.

But, all the data that Google has been collecting from me has got to be tied to my email identity.

I can go into my phone's "location" section and see a map showing everywhere I have been in the past couple years. One little thumbtack stuck over where Howard's house is, another one at the plasma place about 3 miles from there. And, I had all but forgotten all about my little trip to the rail yard, trying to hop a train to California, but Google hadn't. The western-most pin showed me that I indeed made it as far as Avondale, Louisiana.

In the "sounds" section, I can find, and play back every message that I ever sent using the little microphone icon. Google knows where I was, and what I was saying and where I was going.

So, by simply switching to a new email account, I could potentially just sign up for everything again, and jettison all of that data.

Google might notice that this new person has the same IP address as a previous person did. But, in my case, this would differ based upon whatever wi-fi network I was using, either at Rouses Market, or a place like Uxi Duxi.

There have certainly been enough "sign in with your email" sites that I have signed in to.
So, the website owner has some kind of widget which adds the functionality of being able to sign in through facebook, which becomes the gate keeper, of sorts.
People don't need to create a user name and a password just to access the site, they can use the ones they already created on facebook.
And, signing in using facebook tells facebook about the website that you went to, so that, perhaps they can steer advertising content in that direction.
Well, somehow it is pretty hard, at least for me at this point, to figure out why when I go to certain websites, I see ads for Musicians Friend pop up with ads featuring things that I have bought before, like harmonicas, popping up on some site that I am exploring, but don't want to "become a member" of.
The common denominator is facebook.
But, when Facebook boots a member off for posting politically incorrect stuff, then, I believe that member must open a new email account somewhere if she wants to be on facebook again.
I don't believe the IP address of your computer matters, because more than one person could be on a given network and facebook can't bar all of them from posting and sharing and liking things.

I wonder if a website that you log into using facebook recieves your profile, which might be more than they could have hoped to get by presenting you with a "become a member" form with a lot of the input fields being "optional."

As far as getting spam, my brand new email account that I have only logged into once, to make sure the password works, is getting none at all.
Well, except for gmail itself putting stuff in my box.

If I were to create a blog on Blogger using the new "McKenny" gmail account, then I could export all this blog content to it, and it would become a mirror image of this blog, only with a different url.

But, then, would I lose rank in the Google search standings? Does maintaining a blog for 10 years, posting, on average, every 2.89 days count for anything?

Plus, I have 16 followers. Getting all of them to migrate over to the new blog would be next to impossible. Some people opened skeleton accounts, maybe because anonymous posting was disabled by default back then, so they could leave a comment at one point in time.
Maybe they receive email notifications whenever I post something.

But, all I can do in the meantime is continue to come up to speed on web technologies like HTML5, and CSS.
The current book on that topic that I am reading is comprehensible to me, and soon this blog is going to start to reflect the increase in knowledge that I am realizing.

1 comment:

  1. Just keep in mind, if you go out every day, and get $15 each time, that's your day-to-day money.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.