Saturday, February 15, 2020

5 Days Sober

Jacob and I went out to busk yesterday.
We had originally wanted to play in the afternoon, when the sun was up, and the temperatures wouldn't have begun to plummet.
But, I was up until sunup working on a piece of music (that I would accidentally delete in my tired state, thinking that I had saved it already) and so I only woke up at 3 PM, the time that we had talked about starting to play at.

So, we wound up doing what we thought was the next best thing, by getting there as soon as possible, which mean around 6:30 PM.

The only problem with that is that there is a definite afternoon type of crowd that is active in the late afternoon, but which dies down a bit through the 7:30 "dinner time," that a lot of people still observe. Conventional people, whose lives are structured around business hours, and such.

So, we got out there and started playing for a sparse crowd, none of which seemed to be interested in stopping. There has been the usual influx of buskers who come into town, planning upon playing through the whole Mardi Gras. Some of them will play all day on a particular corner, and then will roll out sleeping bags in order to sleep there and hold the spot, so that they will be ready to start playing again at 11 AM.

This is OK when the money is rolling in.

I could sense from the other buskers that it hadn't been a good Saturday, as Jacob and I were on our way out after only playing about an hour.

My harmonica had a couple notes stuck, which took the fun out of playing, and I found that I had never warmed up since stepping outside in clothes that I had slept in, making them kind of clammy.

Jacob had under dressed worse, having only a light tee shirt under a light jacket.

And, we were in no position to wait until the later night crowd started to walk past.

I have reached 5 days sober, with not a lot of temptation -I had been awake a couple hours yesterday before the thought of wine even crossed my mind- until right now, I would say.

It is supposed to be warmer tonight; plus we have learned our lesson and will put on extra layers of clothes. I will don thermal underwear and maybe even a pair of nylon sweatpants under my jeans.
The harmonica; I opened and cleaned with warm, soapy water, and that seemed to have unstuck some of the notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.