Sunday, August 23, 2020

A Heterosexual Couple of Hurricanes, Marco and Laura Coming To Visit

Please Don't Blow Off My Head!

Send it all through the juicer; all of it!!
Now is the time to run to the store to stock up upon 72 hours worth of supplies while I can still do so without getting drenched, or worse, having my hat blow off my head.

72 hours worth, hmmm...So I guess 2 cases of beer and 3 cans of cat food.

Yesterday, I minimized the damage due to my having resumed alcohol consumption by getting a bottle of red wine.

I got home and threw some mushrooms in a skillet with some olive oil and put the heat on low-medium.

While these sizzled, I fed collard greens into my juicer.

After the thick green juice started sluggishly oozing out the spout of the thing, I sent some carrots through, which produce a lot more juice to help rinse the greens through the system, and then some apples, to balance the tart sourness of the collard greens and help the carrots to sweeten up the concoction.

Since I had shopped at the Fresh Market, I was able to add some cactus and some things that are supposedly radishes, but are oblong and yellowish-tan in color. Along with some conventional red radishes and a few other things that I had grabbed (with no idea if the whole thing should be eaten, or if the skin needs to be peeled off because it is poisonous) it all went into the juicer, until I had a 24 ounce cup of an incredibly tasting liquid.

Perfection was achieved after I scooped the fried mushrooms out of the skillet and just added them to the drink, which quickly cooled them down from scalding to just warm. The drink was warm and delicious, the perfect complement to chips and fresh, store made, "pico de gallo."

Washing it all down with the 4 dollar bottle of  Gallo Cabernet Sauvignon made for a taste experience which was out of this world; and made the wine taste like a 40 dollar bottle.

This healthy fare, along with the body building supplements and vitamins I have been taking made me feel the way I used to 20 years ago.

I like to go there just to see all the colorful people who shop there...
I used to drink red wine every night, but only the fixed amount of down to the bottom of the label on the front of the bottle. This would leave about a half a glass for the next night, in order to compare its taste to whichever other kind I would get. This helped me sort through the gamut of wines under 10 dollars a bottle in order to find the best values.

I have always considered Woodbridge (always around 7 bucks a bottle, and the standard "table wine" served at a lot of restaurants when people order a glass) to be the measuring stick of all other wines under ten bucks. For some reason, the Fresh Market has it for $4.99 a bottle. That store inexplicably has some items priced way higher than the competition ($2.29 for a can of pineapple that is $1.29 at the Family Dollar across the street, and $3.99 for a hand full of collard greens when an arm full is the same price at Rouses Market) and just as baffling are things like the Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon at half the price of everywhere else.

But, with the two hurricanes on the way, I guess I'd better close this out and go down there before we all feel the first drop of rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.