Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Why, I Blog

Why I Blog
I was walking towards the library tossing around ideas and composing a rough draft of what
I Blog Because I Am
I am probably going to post here shortly; and I was having imaginary friends walking along with me and the subject matter changed with each person (ie if Tanya was "walking along with me," I think it would lean towards clever humor; if the imaginary Lidgleys were; it might deal more with human relationships etc.)

So the challenge is to get past the "who is my audience" hangup and not write mediocre stuff because it has to be filtered through each readers preferences.

Essentially this means that a hilarious story complete with graphic details has to land upon my mothers front step each morning; folded over and lying face up...

So, the conclusion that I had just come to was that I was only going to write to give myself enjoyment; and to create stuff which is fun to read, using my own opinion as the yardstick (yarnstick?) and of course the "enjoyment" which I get in reading/writing my own stuff (kind of like the guy who laughs at his own jokes; come to think of it...) will only be tempered by the occasional pang of consciousness that I might have rubbed a reader or two the wrong way; so to speak...
What Bugs Me The Most
Last night, the last ferry, as per its new schedule, left for Algiers at 6 p.m.

I played until a little past midnight and had a wad of one dollar bills to show for it.
I then made the long walk (bike was stolen; see: "They steal my bike") to the place where I sleep.
I got there and lied down and was soon aware of the presence of mosquitos.
I reached through my backpack to discover that my (2) containers of mosquito repellent were not there.

Skeezed!
The only times that my backpack had neither been on my back nor under my head has been the 15 minute time-frame when I have been jogging to the little convenience store for a morning energy drink.
I leave my stuff, along with  a note by Rons head, telling him my estimated time of return, so he will wait a few minutes for my return before taking off.
It appears that whomever stole the mosquito spray out of my pack had snuck into the stand of trees with Ron asleep 20 feet away.
It may be the same person who took a length of chain and an umbrella from Ron, and perhaps even my bike.
It wouldn't be hard to take note of someone who is hanging around closely enough to be able to take advantage of my leaving for 15 minutes each morning.
Out of everything that I have had stolen here in NOLA, for some reason the theft of the mosquito repellent angers me the most.
Skeezers
I imagine it is some homeless skeezer* of the ilk that will raid another homeless persons spot to steal what little possessions they have.
*"Skeezer:" One who does just that.
I was so angry, I couldn't go to sleep. I wanted to hit someone; not just punch my cardboard; especially as the mosquitos started to attack me.
I actually walked all the way back to The Unique Store to get a Hurricane Lager; at 1:30 a.m.; to help put me to sleep; and subconsciously hoping I would run into someone who had my bike and was just putting some mosquito repellent on at the moment.
The Community Down The Levee
This makes me want to walk a mile down the levee to where we have been informed is a gaggle of homeless people in a certain patch of woods.
We have been invited to join them.
I have always declined the offer because my sixth sense tells me that the ones which were inviting me were taking note of the guitar on my back and my relative (to them) cleanliness, and I had a feeling that my arrival "home" each night with a wad of one dollar bills, cigarettes and/or food etc. would create friction in the "community."
I hypothesized that their "Mind if I get one of those?" -es would be quite disproportional to my own "Mind if I get one of those?" -es.
To put it succinctly; I thought that they were probably skeezers.
I would be looking for the stolen items, under the guise of checking out the spot.
I would love to be somewhere where we could have a fire at night and cook more healthy food, and even fish for catfish in the nearby Mississippi -the way that spot is advertised; but I wouldn't love it enough to cavort with skeezers.
And, given the reduced ferry hours; and my plan to start travelling within the next week and a half; starting trouble with them would be fruitless...

1 comment:

  1. Plain and simple, the purpose of your blog is to beg. You write each day, folks like the Lidgleys sent money, and all's well with the world. You're essentially a professional mendicant. I used to think this was a lot worse than it actually is, after all, there are lots of types of professional mendicants, all the way from the shittiest panhandler to professional charities. "Think of the children" blah.

    Yeah I hate mosquitoes too. No screens where I'm sleeping, plus tapering down on alcohol means not only do I get bit by the real ones, but I keep imagining up many more; every little uncrossing of two leg hairs becomes a mosquito. The tapering is going well though, I ought to sleep better tonight.

    I made $400 working for Ken last month, and added another $200 or so hustling my stupid little awareness ribbons. You're probably making more than I am. A halfway decent guitar player ought to have a job for life too, and I guess you do, better than what I've got. But sadly, not as good as a decent violinist I agree. Maybe if you learned slide?

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.