Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Greener Swamps

Karrie Goes To Court Tommorow



Last night, Karrie and I went to St. Francis house. I wanted to see if a parcel had arrived from London, from a lady and her husband, who had come by last summer (the lady) when I was playing on Cuna St, and who has stayed in touch and has sent me pictures of myself playing on Cuna St. through e-mail.
A man asked to borrow a flashlight from anyone, to illuminate the combination lock on his bike. I unburdened myself of the guitar and then the backpack, fished around, found my flashlight and lent it to him. He disappeared for a while (awful long time just to unlock a bike,) and returned to me my flashlight with, what we didn't discover until back at camp, dead batteries. He must have known that we had made some money, and was exacting his "tax." This is typical, and the reason why I stay in the woods and not at St. Francis House.
The food served was pepperoni pizza, which gives me hearburn, without giving me any energy; and the mail that they DID have was a bill from the hospital for care of a toothache a couple months ago, and also, a letter telling me that my Public Assistance food card was to be cut off. I had had a foreboding about going to St. Francis House that night, I really did.
Karrie and I fumbled around in the dark, back at camp, just to build a fire and arrange the blankets in the tent. It was too dark for her to see me shaking my head in disbelief that someone would stoop to such chicanery just for a couple of batteries. I decided to consider ourselves fortunate that we could go buy more in the morning. Today is Karrie's last day of freedom. "Mixed feelings" is an apt description of my mind now....
I hope that nobody stole any parcel which might have been shipped.
The past few weeks have been less than promising for someone like me, who has higher aspirations,.
It has been mostly about survival lately, with myself playing shorter hours, worrying about Karrie's being alone at camp, and Karrie relying upon the money which I have been making over the holiday season; money which, typically stops flowing after the holidays, and needs to be stored up like a squirrel's nuts....but, I can't expect her to know that....
Well, I am going out to play tonight, as the temperature is high enough so that I will be able to move my fingers. Last night I watched crowds of people go by, unable to play because of the the 45 degree temperature...
I have a bit of wanderlust, especially as Karrie will be salted away for months in the penal system (unless she can melt the heart of the judge, which I wouldn't put past her.)
I might try to take "my show" on the road and look for greener swamps further south.
Karrie and I still have time to flee to Mexico, where, she has every intention of owning a horse.
She said that, when my mom wires me money for Christmas, "It'll be worth a lot more," oh, and a bottle of tequilla is 5 bucks down there, ....incidently....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bottles that wash up with notes in them