Saturday, March 26, 2011

Collision Course With Thomas

Doubts surrounding Thomas
I thought that I played well at the acoustically superior spot. One group of girls came by, one of them telling me that if I moved up the street, closer to Hop Jacks, I would make a lot more money.
I told her that I liked the acoustics where I was.
She said "Well, I like dollar bills, myself."
I tried to explain that, by sounding good in a quieter spot, even though the traffic is lighter, one stands a better chance of getting large tips. At Hop Jacks, I would be tossed a lot of ones, maybe even 23 of them. At the acoustically superior spot, there is often a ten or a twenty, amongst the fewer ones, which makes the total comparable. Plus, I have more fun playing with the superior acoustics, pretending I'm Roger Waters or someone.
The girls threw me a few bucks. Someone else threw me a five, and I left there about 25 bucks richer, and on a collision course with Thomas.
Then
Roger Waters, or someone
I ran into Thomas at the Shell station. He handed me a beer. I sat with him and ate the chicken and dumplings which I had heated up in the store.
 Thomas was trying to hatch a plot to steal something from someone, somewhere; something that he seems to do when he's drinking.
We agreed that robbing the credit union across the street would be risky business, as there is usually a cop within the immediate area, because there are usually people like Thomas in the immediate area.
Then, he asked for a cigarette, begged me to buy him a beer, and then another; then some food off of my card and later, to smoke some of my botanical insence. Apart from the shirt off my back, that about covers everything I had to offer Thomas.
He kept insisting that the 30 dollars, which he promised one night in exchange of me buying him two beers, which brought the total to five beers, at that point, will be delivered.
On April 18th, according to him, it will be a bird in hand for me. But, when it comes to Thomas, I have my doubts.
The capo worked well, with my strings tuned down one half step.
I still have new strings, purchased with the Fairhope arts festival money. I managed to get them, a lock for the bike, a capo and some clothing.The bike was stolen anyways, and a piece of the capo flew off into the tall grass, making me wonder if the Fairhope money was cursed.
It's as if some people can smell money. I've never had so many people trying to bum off me, or offering to sell me everything from pain pills to bags of pot. Maybe I need to change my stride and walk more like a penniless man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.