Friday, January 3, 2020

The Revese of National Politics

  • Radical Blogging Technique Thought Of
  • Out Of The Blue Parcel Arrives From Hertfordshire
  • A Busy Weekend In New Orleans

"Cabbage and Wine," done on the GIMP editor using a bunch of just filters
One of the things about the format of the Blogger blogs that I always thought worth considering is the fact that, when a visitor goes to the blog, he gets the most recently posted post in his face; kind of like that day's newspaper.

If you hadn't looked on your front porch for a whole week (because you were in your pajamas and behind your computer and only venturing to the bathroom and kitchen and your bed) then, the paperboy might have organized the unpicked up ones that he threw there the previous day, along with that day's fresh paper, into a pile, placing the most recent one at the top. And that is the headline that would be in your face when you eventually check your porch.

And so, with blogger, it is like this.

I always thought it would be better if the blog was laid out horizontally, so that, you would click an arrow on the right to go to the next page; reflecting the right-to-left reading style that most of us* are accustomed to.

*note to self: Look up whatever cultures wrote and read from right to left, and see to what degree they are all on the verge of becoming extinct.
Are there websites where everything is written from right to left, maybe hosted on some server in Israel?

Using my template, the blog would basically bring the visitor to the last page that she read, the last time she visited. The arrow on the right could be greyed out if there is nothing new.

This would eliminate the need for the visitor who hasn't looked on his porch for a whole week, to scroll downward to see older posts; which would eliminate spoilers.

I would want my readers to land on the next post that they haven't read, even if it is a month old.

I would want them to see "Thinking About Buying A Boat," and to follow along on the adventure and set sail with me in their imaginations, without already having glimpsed: "Skeezer Steals My Boat" because of where their browser landed them.

That would take some of the wind out of their sails and they would be "shaking their heads" as they read about how much I was enjoying my boat, and what peace and joy I had found out on Lake Pontchartrain, because they would have gained the omnipotent viewpoint. (I know; I could have just said "because of spoilers")

So, I think my blog design would be for the top pages of each story to be laid out from left to right, with the one in the middle being that last one that the visitor looked at, then time would scroll forward to the right, and backward to the left -the reverse of national politics, if you will...
 

1 comment:

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.