Sunday, August 25, 2024

The Elusive Daily Blog

Posting in mid-decision between posting something here, or going right to the Audacity music studio..
This particular song has been in the works for like 2 months now. This is a complete departure from my previous method that involved more "catching lightning in a bottle." Hoping to play something in alignment with the moon and stars and my biorhythms, not to mention the tide.

Sometimes things got played that I thought I could never replicate. 

But, even such phrases, as the transcriptions of Frank Zappa solos by Steve Vai prove, can be expressed in "mathematical" terms. 

I think of it in mechanical terms.

So, even stuff that might have been "accidentally" produced by a string getting caught in a fingernail, or something can still be notated and then played again. 

But, I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Vai could transcribe any of it.
So, I'm now writing parts that are only intended to be played one way.

 
Just as two different concert violinists will sound pretty much the same, playing a Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, whatever I compose should be able to be rendered in polka dots on a page of "staves." 

Keeping the same "symphony" in my head for weeks on end, instead of changing it nightly, to something that can't be remembered the next morning is, I believe optimal; and perhaps even a stroke of genius type of thing.

It might take a couple weeks of mulling over a tune before the thought of a choir of Maria Callas samples singing in harmony comes to mind. I think you have to really live with a song; take it out for walks, have it in your head off and on every day; maybe even incessantly and nervously hum it to yourself every waking hour...
Maria Callas was very amazing, both for her vocal chord gymnastics, and for the fact that she smoked cigarettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, to me are like deflated helium balloons with notes tied to them, found on my back porch in the morning...